Bonkers

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Wed May 9 11:15:47 BST 2007

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 01:26:40AM +0100, David Wright wrote:
> [...]
>> http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/jobs/benefits.html
>
> That doesn't really help, as I don't have a degree, and Google seem to be in
> that group of short-sighted employers who insist on one. Never mind if the
> degree was obtained by keeping a seat warm for three years in a diploma
> mill. If they've got that bit of paper, they're better than somebody without
> one who has been actually doing the job for ten years.

I'm not sure about that - Google called me out of the blue, and after a
bunch of phone interviews flew me over to Dublin for more - I never sent
them my CV, so I presume they either found it on the net, or were just
headhunting everyone who has a few CPAN modules or something.
I don't have a degree, so either they made a mistake, or didn't care.

(Unfortunately I didn't make the grade and wasn't offered a dev job. I
feel I interviewed very badly in Dublin - I had 3 hours sleep before
getting up to get to the airport, and forgot to get any proper breakfast
in the rush.)

tjc