Bonkers

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed May 9 13:48:32 BST 2007

On 9 May 2007, at 13:27, Ian Docherty wrote:
> Or like me get an Open University degree (OK, i was in no hurry, it
> took me 12 years to get (I took one year off to get married)) and I
> got it at the age of 38 (can anyone else beat that?).

I'm 43 and considering doing one. But I'd be motivated primarily by
curiosity; nobody has /ever/ asked me for qualifications, quite
possibly because I've never applied for a job in the normal sense.

The age thing is interesting. There's certainly a perception that
someone my age won't be interested in coding round the clock (I am, I
do) but also, I think, the idea that people who've seen more of life
will be less biddable.

And of course a bit of experience is good - but enough experience
that you might make your managers look naive is bad...

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net