Bonkers

Ian Docherty londonperlmongers at iandocherty.com
Wed May 9 13:27:44 BST 2007

Peter Hickman wrote:
> Peter Corlett wrote:
>> That doesn't really help, as I don't have a degree, and Google seem
>> to be in
>> that group of short-sighted employers who insist on one. Never mind
>> if the
>> degree was obtained by keeping a seat warm for three years in a diploma
>> mill. If they've got that bit of paper, they're better than somebody
>> without
>> one who has been actually doing the job for ten years.
>>
> Then get a degree. I spent many years cursing employers who would not
> even grant me an interview despite having ten years experience with
> financial systems at that point. So I got a Ba in Artificial
> Intelligence (which we all know is completely useless) at the age of
> 31 and suddenly people would interview me. However at that point I got
> married and had no intention of returning to work on financial systems
> and preferred to work in Brighton.
>
> I really enjoyed my time at Uni (breakdown and therapy not
> withstanding :) )

Or like me get an Open University degree (OK, i was in no hurry, it took
me 12 years to get (I took one year off to get married)) and I got it at
the age of 38 (can anyone else beat that?).

Putting the year I got my degree (1994) and not putting by DOB on my CV,
as well as leaving at least 15 years off my CV (due to lack of space ;)
means I do not immediately get discriminated by my age. At least not
until I get to the interview where it would be amusing to see, if it was
not so obvious.

I remember quite well an interview I had at a company called Yahoo (you
may know them) where the person interviewing me found it difficult to
have any enthusiasm with the interview once he saw me. I won't say it
was because of my age (he and all his co-workers had not yet been born
when I started my first job). The reason I was turned down, and bear in
mind this is for a contract role, was because I was 'too experienced'....

Regards
Ian