needs some advice - is london ok for Perl jobs or other cities.

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Mon Jun 11 09:09:41 BST 2007

Dirk Koopman wrote:
> Kingston Poly^HUniversity (I am *that* old)

Wow, I didn't think I was *that* old.  I joined in one of the last years it
was a polytechnic and left, uhm, 6 years later (what can I say, the beer was
cheap) when it was a university.

Made me laugh to think of all the swots at school who worked so hard to
get a good *university* place because a mere *polytechnic* was so "second
class".  Meanwhile I turned up at check-in and got bumped up to business
class.  :-)

Anyway, back to the point.  Kingston's a nice place.  It's an affluent area
and the cost of living is quite high.  But it's very well placed for London
without actually being in London, and also for the M3/M4 corridoor (aka
"Silicon Alley") which is where a lot of UK hi-tech companies are based.

Leeds and Bradford are up in t'north of country, far, far away[*] from the
tech centres of the south.  That doesn't matter so much while you're studying,
but it will when you're looking for work, or want to meet up with local tech
groups.  They're much cheaper places to live than Kingston, but that's because
there's less demand from people wanting to live there.  My memories of
Bradford are cold, wet, grey and grim.

So my vote would be with Kingston.  But then I grew up there, so I'm kinda
biased.  But I'm sure you'll find it easier to find Perl jobs around Kingston
than around Leeds or Bradford.

[*] Bradford is about 200 miles north of London if memory serves.  Not
     very far in global terms, but that's a long way to us Brits, especially
     if you're relying on British Rail to get you there.