The joys of commuting [was Re: [SOCIAL] Thursday July the 5th...]

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jul 5 11:24:42 BST 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 01:11:04PM -0700, Simon Burr wrote:
[...]
> Although I did like the time for reading, the four hours a day doing that
> commute ate out of my day really sucked.

For some reason, I've been approached a lot recently by pimps looking for
people to work for a pittance in the arse end of Reading. (Well, OK, I
refreshed my CV on Jobserve as my contract is approaching its end.)

In two cases, I had to find a small-scale map of Berkshire before I could
find the godforsaken hole of a village that they somehow expected me to
spend four hours a day travelling to and from. If I wanted that, I'd have
stayed in Studley rather than going for the bright lights of London.

I got a particularly rude and unprofessional response from one pimp who had
apparently problems with reading comprehension skills on my CV when I
brusquely pointed out that they were taking the piss with salary and
location.