The joys of commuting [was Re: [SOCIAL] Thursday July the 5th...]

Simon Burr simes at bpfh.net
Thu Jul 5 13:24:30 BST 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 10:22:52AM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
>Simon Burr wrote:
>>the four hours a day doing that commute ate out of my day really sucked.
>Seriously though, I find the biggest advantage to a Zero Commute policy is
>that my mind is clear and fresh when I start work.  An hour or two sitting
>in traffic or huddled on a train is a sure-fire way to kill that off and
>fill my head with distracting noise.

Ah, I *used* to have a total of ~four hours a day eaten by commuting. I'm
now living in London so my commute is a nice 25-30 minute cycle ride from
home to the office. That cycle ride acts as a way to wake up in the mornings
and as a way to burn off tensions of the day in the evenings. If I do use
public transport then I'm looking at a 40 minute commute; at least early in
the mornings the DLR isn't too crowded.

Whilst I can work from home reasonably well, I do miss having the gaggle of
screens I have at work.

--
   Simon the stressed        http://www.bpfh.net/           simes at bpfh.net
                 Chocolate is *not* a substitute for sleep