The joys of commuting [was Re: [SOCIAL] Thursday July the 5th...]

Nic Gibson nicg at noslogan.org
Thu Jul 5 11:04:30 BST 2007

On 05/07/07, Andy Wardley <abw at wardley.org> wrote:

> Simon Burr wrote:
> > the four hours a day doing that commute ate out of my day really sucked.
>
> <gloat>
> My average daily commute is about 12 seconds.  That's both ways - about 7
> seconds going up stairs, and about 5 coming back down.  Although I'm
> sometimes
> delayed by kids toys on the stairs[*], or a pile of washing on my office
> chair
> that has to be moved.  That can add another few seconds.
>
> Once I got all the way to "work" and realised I had left my coffee in the
> kitchen back at "home".  Boy, was I cursing!  I had to make the journey
> all
> over again.  It was nearly 7.30am before I got a thing done!  Still,
> that's
> not bad considering I was still asleep at 7.25.
> </gloat>

Up until a month ago, that had been my life for 3 years. It's good. I do
have to share the office with my wife but that's not such a bad thing. Now,
I'm stuck in open plan office land surrounded by penguins (well, stylized
pictures of them).  What's *really* annoying is that 'policy' says techies
use PCs. That means I'm  using a frigging dell whilst surrounded by macs.
Mutter.

WFH++

> Seriously though, I find the biggest advantage to a Zero Commute policy is
> that my mind is clear and fresh when I start work.  An hour or two sitting
> in
> traffic or huddled on a train is a sure-fire way to kill that off and fill
> my
> head with distracting noise.

This is mostly true. I live at the end of the line and I find that I get 2
hours really productive work done on the way into the office. Going home, I
get 2 hours of reading or playing games on my phone done.

Having made the switch, I wouldn't go back to a full-time on-site job by
> choice.

Six months here may be my limit.

nic

--