needs some advice - is london ok for Perl jobs or other cities.

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Tue Jul 10 22:23:05 BST 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:43:52PM +0100, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 07:18:30PM +0100, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> >
> >> I guess the northernmost "The North" sign on the A1 must be just before
> >> the border. There'd be no point saying "The North" if you were already
> >> there.
> >
> > The signs still say "North" within 50 miles of the top of Scotland.
> >
> > I'm not convinced that it actually exists, as it doesn't seem to be possible
> > to reach it.
>
> So I've been living in an imaginary place. That explains a helluva lot...

No, I passed you on the way. :-)

You're not north. It's still somewhere beyond you. That's all.

Anyway, I'm told that it's grim up north, and the area round Hadrian's Wall
is anything but, so I dispute that you're in the "north" of legend.

(The flipside is when you're driving from London to Newcastle, and around
Leeds you still have one third of the distance to go. Therefore Leeds isn't
really north.)

Nicholas Clark