Exception Handling

Ovid publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 13:01:02 BST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Pete Sergeant <pete at clueball.com>

> I quite like using: methods always return a true value on success, and
> if they fail, you make a log, and return false yourself. Requires a very
> lightweight instantiator that always passes tho, and you do have to
> occasionally do nasty things like return empty arrayrefs.

And if the end-user forgets to check a return value, or checks it incorrectly (there are plenty of subtle ways this can happen), this returning false fails.  I only want to see code returning false if the failure is safe to ignore.  Otherwise, I want a proper exception.

Die early.  Die often.

Cheers,
Ovid

--