Exception Handling

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Mon Jul 16 09:46:00 BST 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 09:24:13AM +0100, Jonathan Stowe said:
> "You are <foo> and I claim my five pounds" is an ancient meme rooted in
> some fifties advertising campaign I believe - I'm sure one of the other
> ancieunte ones will fill in more detail.

In the 30s was competition by the Westminster Gazette who would send
employees to seaside towns and then publish their description in the
day's paper. People could go up to the person holding a copy of the
newspaper, say the days passphrase and win a prize.

Various newspapers copied the idea and the most famous passphrase was
"You are <name> and I claim my 5 pounds" from a post-war Daily Mail
competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_are_X_and_I_claim_my_five_pounds