Hack - show we use a different term?

Robert Rothenberg robrwo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:25:17 BST 2007

On 22/07/07 11:50 Leo Lapworth wrote:
> The term 'Hack' is used for so many things, some of the computer related
> ones are:
>
> [...]
>
> The problem I have is whenever I speak to almost anyone not in the
> technology/computer field they only ever think "illegally breaking into a
> computer". I got several really confused people asking why ...

Real simple. Don't use the word "hack" around non-techies.  You won't have
to worry about them mistaking you for a criminal, and you won't have to
explain the different meanings of the word, etc.

Surgeons don't worry about educating the general public about their
particular jargon.  Nor do mechanics, lawyers, train conductors, etc....

So why do some people in the IT industry have this need to use jargon that
they *know* most non-IT people misunderstand, and then want to enlighten
people who couldn't be arsed about it?

Use your energy for more educating non-IT folk on matters that actually
affect them: open standards, copy protection, copyright and patent issues
come to mind.