turncoat

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jul 26 21:26:37 BST 2007

On 26 Jul 2007, at 17:33, Peter Hickman wrote:
[...]
> How about "here's a problem, solve it"?

Ah, la-la land.

Actually, I lie, I did once get a job like that. It was 2000, and
given that the more or less unmodified site is still running some
seven years on, I guess I must have done a reasonably good job of it.

> Rather than, "I told the customer we could do X using Y for Z in 3
> months" with a spec that seems to be written solely in adjectives.

You forgot "Oh, we're taking your computer so that an empty suit can
play Solitare, but you'll be OK if we give you this rusty spoon
instead. By the way, the deadline's changed, we need it in three hours."

More seriously, my "Perl Developer" job basically involves next to no
Perl, and shedloads of trying to intimidate a completely worthless
CMS into at least pretending to do what it claims to, at least when
I'm not trying to work around browser bugs. Since I am expected to
work around bugs in Internet Explorer, it will come as no surprise to
anybody that my repeated requests for a Windows PC to test sites on
has been denied.

So, how do you create an interesting Perl job? Well, actually having
some Perl in it would be a fine start...