turncoat

Paul Johnson paul at pjcj.net
Fri Jul 27 12:41:06 BST 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 12:52:14PM +0200, Richard Foley wrote:
> On Friday 27 July 2007 11:52, Jacqui caren wrote:
> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > I suppose that the most (technically) interesting job I ever had had no
> > > requirement for any Perl.  Well, not when I started anyway.  Knowing
> > > Perl, or having the desire and ability to learn it, was a fairly high
> > > requirement when I left.
> >
> > The best perl job I ever had replaced ~15KLOC of oracle PLSQL (OWAv1x)
> > with ~2K or perl.
> >
> > The OWA code took 28 houra to run a daily 'cron' task.
> > The perl code did the same jobs in ~32 minutes.
> >
> That's a success story, and a bet it was a lot of fun and most satisfying, to
> do, too.

I've just done something similar, though on a somewhat smaller scale.
The daily cronjob is now a couple of hours long rather than 40.  The
next version will probably only take a few minutes, though it will
require DB changes.

I'll probably mention something about it in my YAPC talk.

Paul Johnson - paul at pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net