turncoat

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Jul 27 13:03:06 BST 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 12:23:25PM +0100, Jonathan Stowe wrote:

> On the other hand I've never much cared whether I had a job as a "perl
> programmer".

Nodnod.  The only reason I look mainly at perly jobs is cos it's what
I'm best at.  Unfortunately my sysadmining skills are a bit out of date
(and I don't like being on call) as are my assembler programming and
@other_programming_language skills.  Every so often I tell myself that I
must learn some other language, but then I decide that reading something
silly by Harry Harrison is a better use of my time.

The biggest problem I have learning other languages isn't the language
itself, but the tools.  For example, C makes perfect sense to me because
it's just a portable assembler, *but* I always struggle with the bloody
tools.  It's a pity that all the C books I've looked at don't really
cover them in any detail.  So I can write C programs, which work.  I can
even, with a bit of swearing and cursing, link some libraries to my
code.  But I'm buggered if I can ever figure out how to build a library
instead of an executable program.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

One person can change the world, but most of the time they shouldn't
    -- Marge Simpson