Foreign keys / Transactions in MySQL.. WTF?

Toby Corkindale tjc at
Tue Jul 31 09:22:05 BST 2007

Aaron Crane wrote:
>> OK, and what about the foreign key support?
>> mysql> create table foo (id serial primary key, bar integer not null
>> references somekeys(id)) Engine=InnoDB;
>> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)
> MySQL supports only a small part of the standard syntax for foreign
> keys.  You have to specify them as table constraints (not column
> constraints), and you need to name the columns referred to:

But why oh why does MySQL happily accept the other syntax, and then
ignore it? </rhetorical>
At least if it generated errors one would realise one needed to find the
"special" MySQL syntax earlier..

How did MySQL get so popular when it still seems to be missing key
features? Ah, I shouldn't ask that, it's just gonna be trolling :)