Foreign keys / Transactions in MySQL.. WTF?

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Tue Jul 31 10:16:40 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 17:52 +0930, Toby Corkindale wrote:

> How did MySQL get so popular when it still seems to be missing key
> features?

It was getting popular even when it didn't make any attempt at
pretending that it was a fully featured database management system and
most sensible people considered it to be the equivalent of Matt's
FormMail and treated it similarly. Why it continued to gain popularity
when it started pretending that it really was a big grown up RDBMS is
either a) a mystery or b) related to the fact that every complaint about
its functionality was met by a retort from the geek fanboys that such
and such feature is implemented in the very next version of it from the
one that you have been lumbered with: thus encouraging "upgrades" and
tie in to its ever-diverging from SQL syntax and behaviour.

> Ah, I shouldn't ask that, it's just gonna be trolling :)

No, trolling for rabid froth in support of MySQL should be considered a
public service, much in the same way as the "News Shopper" prints the
CCTV images of kids caught vandalising busses.

/J\