"So the SOAP "stack" is a mess...

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Aug 14 00:11:36 BST 2007

john_oshea at wordbank.com wrote:
>> ..., and currently only the simplest of services are able to
>> interoperate. However we believe this situation is likely to improve
>> long term, ..., but mainly due to the emergence of a reference
>> implementation in the form of Microsoft's WCF.
> [From: <http://www.w3.org/2007/01/wos-papers/bt>]
> As a matter of interest[*], is anyone seeing any sign of "improvements"
> here? Is anyone using WCF to auto-generate, auto-deploy, auto-*anything*
> Web-Service-y? That's actually *useful*, that is?

No, and I can say that confidently without even looking, because there
are only three types of people who choose Microsoft "technology".  They
are those who are stupid, those who are ignorant, and those who are
malicious.  None of them will repeatedly produce anything useful.  If
they *have* produced anything useful it was entirely by accident and
they can't repeat it reliably.

Of course, "web services" aren't useful anyway.  They're a crappy way of
shoe-horning everything into the lowest common denominator network
service instead of actually writing proper applications.

    It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
    what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
        -- Alan Cooper