Tube Strike (Was: [ANNOUNCE] [SOCIAL] Social at Dirty Dicks, Thursday 6th September)

Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker ilmari at
Mon Sep 3 13:08:16 BST 2007

Smylers <Smylers at> writes:

> Peter Corlett writes:
>> I can't help thinking that the unions are being somewhat unreasonable
>> about all of this, although that seems to be the main purpose of
>> unions IMO. The employer has gone bust, and in any other industry
>> that's game over and they're all looking for jobs. TFL have also made
>> this statement, which seems clear enough and quite fair:
>>    "Both the Mayor and the direct employers, the Administrator and
>>    Metronet, have given the trades unions clear written assurances
>>    that meet all of their concerns, namely that there will be no job
>>    cuts or transfers as a result of the collapse of Metronet and no
>>    loss of pensions now or at any time in the future.
> I don't understand that "no transfers" bit.  Metronet has collapsed; the
> work that was being done by Metronet will be taken over by other
> organizations -- surely the staff would _want_ to be transferred to the
> other organizations, rather than stay with the one that's got no money
> and no work?

I parsed that as "people will not be transferred to different jobs,"
i.e. they'll keep doing the same job as they do now in the new

"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,
 at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen