Tube Strike (Was: [ANNOUNCE] [SOCIAL] Social at Dirty Dicks, Thursday 6th September)

ben@bpfh.net ben at bpfh.net
Mon Sep 3 13:32:57 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 11:28:00AM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:

>I can't help thinking that the unions are being somewhat unreasonable about
>all of this, although that seems to be the main purpose of unions IMO.

And, of course, the fact that we live in a country which has vaguely sane
labour laws owes everything to paternalistic Rowntree-esque capitalists and
nothing at all to the men and women who were prepared to be unreasonable and
stand up to abuses by business owners.

It wasn't so very long ago that this sort of thing:

http://business.guardian.co.uk/retail/story/0,,2161302,00.html

used to happen in Britain too.

Ben