Tube Strike (Was: [ANNOUNCE] [SOCIAL] Social at Dirty Dicks, Thursday 6th September)

Tony Kennick 0995a06aaeaf6b70e79c3aafd6719329 at half.pint.org.uk
Mon Sep 3 14:00:55 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 12:16:38AM +0100,
the following was promulgated by Peter Corlett:

> On 2 Sep 2007, at 23:23, Smylers wrote:
> [...]
> >It's a 3-day strike, so scheduled to start on Monday.  My concern
> >wasn't
> >just about the Perl Mongers meeting -- I, and I presume others, also
> >have travelling to do in London before Thursday!
>
> Well, given that the Tube is constantly in near-meltdown due to
> jumpers, leaves on the line, faulty signals, driver shortages,
> shutdowns for engineering work, or just because they plain can't be
> arsed, it's fairly likely that the strike-ridden service will be
> indistinguishable from normal service.
>
> Also remember that London is a pretty compact place and everywhere
> useful is within walking distance. This is after all how people got
> round the place 150 years ago. For a lot of journeys within Zone 1
> there's not a lot in it between walking or taking the Tube anyway.
>
> There are also buses or National Rail services, of course. The basic
> difference between these and a veal crate is that it is possible to
> move slightly in a veal crate.

I feel that I have to point out that even in the normal state of chaos
and possible even during the strikes that London has a wildly better
public transport infrastructure than any other city in the country.

--
        Tony Kennick
        Web: http://www.pint.org.uk/