Why Perl needs a VM

Billy Abbott billy at cowfish.org.uk
Thu Sep 6 10:13:49 BST 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On 5 Sep 2007, at 14:18, David Dorward wrote:
>> On 5 Sep 2007, at 13:44, ben at bpfh.net wrote:
>>> I mean, would anyone here really use Outlook out of choice?
>> If the choice was between that and Lotus Notes, then absolutely.
>
> Oh man, Notes. What a crock.

Open behind this terminal currently, with its interface inexplicably
broken (even more than normal - it's decided not to draw some bits for
some reason), eating up all the memory on this laptop.

> The bright side is that it's such a Byzantine crawling horror that the
> administrators forget to close the IMAP port on the server, so you can use a
> mail client instead.

I heard that the imap is broken in some insidious way? A former cow-orker
hacked up pine to work properly with it, wrote scripts to make emails
format themselves properly, used the windows interface to tell it to
automatically accept all meetings and then closed it down never to open it
again. I am jealous of him still.

That said, you get used to it after a while and while the interface is
still crap, it does do some things in a way less broken than other
choices. That could be the Stockholm syndrome talking though.

--billy

--
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere,
someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over