Perl at the BBC?

Robin Doran robin.doran at bbc.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 17:17:10 BST 2007

We have a number of perl software engineer positions open at the moment,
it's unfortunate but it seems that in this case someone was looking for
a perl job literally days after an application deadline had closed.
When we are recruiting for perl positions we try and spread our net far
and wide and, in future, will see if we can include jobs at london.pm.org.

If you are interested in applying for one of our open perl jobs then
please send a CV to FM&TRecruitmentTeam at bbc.co.uk before the 30th
September.

I've attached part of our standard job description for you to get an
idea of what we are looking for.

KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE

Essential

Knowledge and experience of the software development lifecycle and
processes.

An active interest in current internet technologies and development
trends.

Development of large scale internet based applications and production
systems

Two years commercial web development experience using the following:
*	Perl  - mod_perl a preference
*	Apache modules
*	XML
*	HTML
*	SQL databases
*	Unix

Desirable

Experience with the following technologies would be beneficial:
JavaScript,  XSLT, CSS, XML-RPC & webservices

A wider exposure to software languages such as C++, Java and PHP where
it supports understanding of software engineering practices.

Experience of Agile software development practices such as Scrum would
be beneficial

Experience in multimedia and creative environments

An appreciation of BBC output and the potential for Online technology to
enhance the BBC offering.

Linux and Solaris administration skills

Thanks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/