[OT] Hard drive recovery

Aidan Samuel aidan.samuel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:34:47 BST 2007

On 9/17/07, Duane Griffin <duaneg at dghda.com> wrote:
> On 17/09/2007, Duane Griffin <duaneg at dghda.com> wrote:
> > On 17/09/2007, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > A cooleague of mine's hard drive is fried, and she's looking for
> > > organisations than can recover the data from it.  Is anybody aware of
> > > services which are "not too expensive"?
> >
> > Privately, I think it cost him about ~£450 to recover a hard drive,
> > and their initial quote was close to double that. No idea how big it
> > was, but probably quite old and small.
>
> Hmm, so maybe not as privately as I'd hoped... :/
>
> --
> "I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan

I used to use a program called "lost & found" by powerquest. It worked
really well. But:
1. Symantec bought powerquest and discontinued l&f
2. l&f is old and may not work with NTFS? (I was using it on fat32)
3. It's not very user friendly
4. You'll need a floppy disk drive (iirc)

I just searched for it though, and it looks like you can still find it
for sale. ($15 < £450)

Aidan.