[OT] Hard drive recovery

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Sep 18 14:27:09 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:38:23PM +0100, Duane Griffin wrote:

> As for backups -- how many people set up good backups *before* they
> lose important data?

The first time they lose important data - only paranoid lunatics*.

The second time - everyone who isn't a damned fool.

Of course, it's important to remember that if you haven't done a recent
test restore, then you don't have backups, you have hopes.  It's amazing
how many "backups" are unreadable gibberish.

So the third time - everyone who got caught out the second time by
fucked up unreadable tapes :-)

* and of course I mean that as a compliment.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

    Suffer the little children to come unto me, as
    their buying habits are most easily influenced.
       -- Marketroid Jesus