Perl Obfuscator

Paul Johnson paul at pjcj.net
Wed Sep 19 20:48:55 BST 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 07:46:49PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On 19 Sep 2007, at 18:00, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> [...]
> >Probably something about C++ doing it's own "obfuscation" due to
> >member
> >name mangling as port of the compilation process.
>
> Possibly predictably, I ended up writing a Perl script to demangle g+
> + barfs back into something that vaguely resembles the source that
> went in.

Early C++ compilers were basically preprocessors that output equivalent
C code and fed it to a C compiler.  Some of the generated code was
magnificent.  And some of it was buggy, and needed to be sent through
intermediary filters to fix it.

Ah, happy days.

Are you talking about that?  Or did you manage to reinvent c++filt?

Paul Johnson - paul at pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net