Mixing file IO and signals

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
Tue Oct 2 16:09:57 BST 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 09:56:44AM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
> async file i/o is more of a pain. check out IO::AIO which does some of
> this.

I didn't quite mean "file" IO; but filehandle IO - sockets, pipes, that
sort of thing. I know pure files are rather more tricky and subtle to
get right - Linux will behave properly if you open(.., O_NONBLOCK),
read(), then poll() for reading, but most other OSes will not.

> i have plans for a new module which will do true async file IO,
> support plugins, multiple platforms and hook into any event loop to
> allow for a complete solution. if you want to help on that module, let
> me know. i was working on the specs/design with a german friend but i
> placed him in a job and now he has no spare time for this! :/

Again here, do you mean actual file IO, or simply filehandle stuff? If
it's just filehandles, there's already quite a few that do that;
including my own IO::Async, from which this question arises.

> i need someone who knows XS/C to work on the guts though much of this
> would be in perl too. the XS part is almost all conversions of perl
> data to/from c.

Well, I know Perl, and C, and some of XS, though not very much...

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/