Brown trousers time :~

Lyle - CosmicPerl.com perl at cosmicperl.com
Tue Oct 9 15:42:11 BST 2007

Dirk Koopman wrote:
> The critical thing here is FastCGI and that certainly works on
> windows. Even if you use apache (and the latest version is pretty
> quick, just toooo big and complicated for my taste). Never forget that
> you can also use the Zen webserver, if you don't mind proprietary.
FastCGI is certainly becoming much more attractive. Do you know
myserverproject.net? Is their web server fast? I'd preferably like to
test out a fast webserver that runs on both Linux and Windows.

I'm currently thinking that for the Enterprise version have a separate
web server with FastCGI to handle all the clicks and nothing else.
Recording the data raw to a database (this means I don't need to do a
read before the write), then periodically taking this data and
sorting/compressing it into another database. That way it could make it
easier to have several machines with independent web servers and
databases if needed in the future.

Potentially C++ and FastCGI for the clicks, can't see anything being
faster than that! Not sure how hard it would be to code though. Haven't
done any c++ for years.

Also I'm figuring rather than opening/writing/closing a database
connection for each click, there is a way of keeping the connection open
so all I need do is write? Can this be easily done with Perl? Are there
any drawbacks to doing this?

Standard Apache or IIS with or without fastcgi for the rest.

Sorry for all the questions, think I'm almost done :)

Lyle