Cpanratings etc - Re: Devel::CheckLib: Please try to break our code!

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Wed Oct 24 02:50:03 BST 2007

Andrew Black wrote:
> Not being a module developer, I can't comment on details but I feel that
> cpanrating  is trying to plug a need.

CPAN Ratings does plug a need, but it's not the need you think it is. It
*doesn't* plug the need for reasonable and objective discussion of CPAN
modules; nothing can. Instead it plugs the need for frustrated users to
have a rant, which will on occasions be ill-informed, incorrect, or born
out of incompetence, ignorance or generally missing the point.

In other words, it occupies the same space as blogs. If CPAN authors get
fed up with it, it's only because they choose to take it seriously.

Simon

--
It's difficult to see the picture when you are inside the frame.