Another recruit

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Oct 24 10:34:55 BST 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 11:10:05AM +1000, Toby Corkindale wrote:
[...]
> (I just bought one recently and am rather disappointed one can't write
> homebrew games for this thing; the three that come with it are boring,
> boring, and crash, respectively. And Rockbox doesn't run on 'em any
> longer.)

You can run homebrew apps on the iPod Touch once you've done a jailbreak on
it. There's a third-part package installer and repository that has a handful
of games in it, although nothing really caught my interest. There's a NES
(or SNES?) emulator if you have ROMs to hand.

I also note that there's a bundled Perl for the Touch (also Python, PHP and
Ruby) although that's probably only for command-line stuff leaving you to
write your own adaptor to the GUI. Failing that, you can just write your
game as an AJAXy web app and run it on the internal Safari: you could also
create a multiplayer game and sell it as a service then.