Need to learn C, best books?

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Wed Oct 24 13:41:15 BST 2007

On 24 Oct 2007, at 13:28, Lyle - CosmicPerl.com wrote:

> Hi All,
> The more I work with Perl modules that use a lot of C, the more I
> find the need to learn C.
> I've seen the Perl for C programmers book, but I want a C for Perl
> programmers book.
>
> Is there a C programming book equivalent to "Learning Perl" by
> Randal? I've read several Perl books, but when I finally picked up
> a copy of Learning Perl is was obvious to me that I had wasted time
> on the other Perl introductory books.
>
> Also is there a C equivalent to PerlMonks and PerlM[ou]ngers?

Well, C itself is pretty simple (aside from a few minor nuances) as
it's such a low-level
language.  You might as well just get the latest edition of K&R C and
work through the
exercises in a day or two.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Programming-Language-2nd/dp/0131103628/

The following free PDF is meant to be reasonable as well, but I've
not read through it.

http://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/the_c_book.pdf

- Mark