Need to learn C, best books?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 19:51:50 BST 2007

Simon Cozens wrote:
> Dirk Koopman wrote:
>> And no, I would not recommend any of the books on XS - at all. Sorry.
>
> OK, I gotta ask: What's wrong with them? Or rather, what's wrong with it?

As a fairly experienced C programmer (started 1980) the book didn't help
learn what I needed to know about writing actual XS code. I would got
further and say that, in some ways, it lead me astray (but that could
simply be me). The examples did not seem to be helpful. It did not
explain (in a way that I understood) things like reference counting with
  especial reference to creating hashes and arrays. Or just how it all
worked and fitted together.

Basically I am not sure whom the book was aimed at, but if it was me,
then missed by miles.

As I said earlier, I actually found that the perldoc stuff was much more
helpful, particularly when I had a simple, known working XS example (or
two) to look at.

Dirk