[OT] E-mail provider recommendations

Spiros Denaxas spiros at lokku.com
Thu Oct 25 09:50:27 BST 2007

On 10/25/07, Paul Makepeace <paulm at paulm.com> wrote:

> On 7/22/07, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No IMAP?
> >
> > IMAP is evil.
> >
> > Google DTRT IMHO: KISS, POP3[0] and leave on the server.
>
> Gmail is rolling out (free) IMAP,
>

> http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/sync-your-inbox-across-devices-with.html

Gmail is definitely getting better and better: major storage space upgrade,
IMAP, better filters etc etc. The only major drawback unfortunately is that
no matter what, its still in 'beta'. Google does not offer any kind of SLA
and/or guarantee that it will work or that they will resolve any potential
issues you might have with it. (remember all those folks that lost their
entire inbox in one night for some unknown reason).
I would also suggest Gmail but with proper backing up [1].

Spiros

[1] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=backup+gmail&btnG=Google+Search