Another recruit

asmith9983@gmail.com asmith9983 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 15:19:05 BST 2007

Hi
Find an old 386 PC somewhere and teach her how to install Ubuntu. She can then
say "Windows, that just for dummies, real people use Open Source."  Waiting on
a kernel build will teach her to have patience and that if she saves her
pocket money, she can buy a multi-core box with Gigabytes of RAM and disk to
process  and store all her ripped off audio books and music.  Her reading and
comprehension ability will leap ahead as she tries to understand man pages,
FAQ's and lies in Wikipedia. I have experience with a boy aged 6/7 at the
start, but a sample set of 1 is no indicator of success with others.  Will she
be happy to sit for 4 fours in the Perl Beginners tutorial at the London Perl
Workshop ?

Did she fully understand  register operations ? It took me 3 weeks to
understand how to copy a line numbered range into a register, mainly because I
didn't read the space between the range and register letter!

--
Andrew