Need to learn C, best books?

Dirk Koopman djk at
Fri Oct 26 13:03:40 BST 2007

Mehmet Suzen wrote:
> On 10/26/07, Jacqui caren <jacqui.caren at> wrote:
>> Regarding C++ the firebird database project had quite a nice
>> coding style document - worth reading.
> Regarding to coding style, GNU Coding Standards documents has
> a nice section called  "Making The Best Use of C"

No. That is a nice section on how to use the maximum amount of paper to
write C whilst obscuring the structure in the most systematic way I have
ever seen.

Fortunately our intrepid learner of C has been writing a lot of perl
and, hopefully, uses perl style layout conventions. The fact that this
is very similar indeed to K&R will make that both that book and his code
more readable than all that GNU coding style madness. Oh and purlease
resist the temptation to go all Hungarian as well, there are enough
warts in this world without gratuitously adding to them.

K&R formatting good, anything else bad (and literally a waste of space).

Tin hat and body armour on? Check.
M5 loaded and cocked? Check.
Spare ammo? Check?
Carl Gustav available? Check.