Background info - was Hosting again

Lyle - CosmicPerl.com perl at cosmicperl.com
Thu Nov 1 01:19:42 GMT 2007

Smylers wrote:
> Lyle - CosmicPerl.com writes:
>
>> Joel Bernstein wrote:
>>
>>> You definitely have received a fine set of advice here. ... You seem
>>> generally to have expressed a lot of resistance to some of the
>>> advice you've received
>>>

> Particularly about taking a holiday, paying for professionals to do
> things they're good at, and sharing your burden with others.

As soon as I have things setup and can afford the time off I certainly
will :)  the new software delivery system I'm working on will allow me
to run most of my business from anywhere. So soon I should be able to
take kind of holidays, still have some work, but different scenery at
least, lol.
>> Hi All, I feel I have to give a little background info on myself as
>> suggestions like this keep cropping up. Here goes... <Snip>
>>
>> I'm sorry all, after getting this the N'th time I really felt I needed
>> to get it off my chest. Hopefully enough people read this to
>> understand where I'm coming from.
>>

> You've previously mentioned concerns about things like having to develop
> a massive system and get it "perfect" (but you don't want to spend any
> time rewriting parts of it as you learn more), or needing to rely on
> your own hosting not going down (but you don't want to shell out for
> load balancing).

I'm researching having my own machines at this point, hence the
questions. If load balancing is the only real way to do it, then that's
what I'll be looking into. The software will be designed to work on any
server, not just mine.
> Those two are situations which many folks on this list have experience
> of, and have found ways of dealing with.  What makes the situations
> worse for you are your, apparently self-imposed, constraints.  It's as
> though you know the right answer but -- even though your livelihood
> depends on it -- you aren't prepared to pay for it, or you think you're
> different and can do better.

early days
> If you give the appearance of habitually ignoring what many on the list
> consider to be good advice, then it's likely that people will lose
> sympathy for your situation and decide they can't be bothered trying to
> answer your questions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ignoring suggestions, I'm taking it all on
board and wading my way through things. Recently I've been working with
the FastCGI developers on updates for their site... all that came from
some very helpful advice I got on this list.
> Go on, take a holiday!

One day!