Hosting again

Chris Benson chrisb at jesmond.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 23:04:27 GMT 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 09:45:19PM +0000, Dean Wilson wrote:

> Backups. RAID is nice, but a tested backup and restore procedure is far
> sweeter.

AMEN!

2 disks* in my home media library RAID5 array have not been recognised by
any controllers since a powercut last week :-(

Nearly 1TB of data "we don't need to backup because we've got the
originals" ...

Except now we're going to be dependent on
	http://viphttp.yacast.net/V4/radiofrance/fip_hd.m3u
and	http://somafm.com/play/groovesalad
until I can re-rip our music -- which is currently in storage while I
renovate/decorate the sitting room.

One silver lining is that I have permission to spend "whatever it
takes to prevent this happening again ... within reason!".

Another is that with 1TB disks now under gbp200, it will be a lot
cheaper to setup a backup system -- if I ignore the cost of the few
hundred hours of my time.

* The only two Maxtor drives in the array.
--
Chris Benson