Hosting again

Chris Benson chrisb at jesmond.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 08:30:52 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:33:07AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 11:04:27PM +0000, Chris Benson wrote:
> > Another is that with 1TB disks now under gbp200, it will be a lot
> > cheaper to setup a backup system -- if I ignore the cost of the few
> > hundred hours of my time.
>
> If you put a lot of backups on one disk, they're all vulnerable to a
> single hardware failure.  It's an improvement, but not as much as people
> sometimes think.

Yeah, but I can only fit one generation onto a 1TB disk, so the backup
system is possibly going to be a
http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=19_1302_1333&products_id=16359
in the loft with a Wake-on-LAN 5 min before the backup, shutting down
afterwards.

Or perhaps 2 or 3 dual-disk USB/Firewire caddies with the disks RAID1-d.
This is only a home system after all.

Who'd a thunk I'd be worried about backing up TB: I've only just
dismantled my QIC collection for recycling.  But once I get backup to disk
running, I'll be able to dispose of the DAT drive ...
--
Chris Benson