Hosting again

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Nov 5 19:38:28 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 08:30:52AM +0000, Chris Benson wrote:

> Yeah, but I can only fit one generation onto a 1TB disk ...

Not even with funky hard link voodoo?

http://rsnapshot.org/

</advert>

Obviously it'll vary with how quickly your data changes, but I find that
storing 7 daily backups, 5 weeklies and 3 monthlies has an overhead of
only about 5% on top of what it would be for just a single backup - that
being mostly directories, which can't be hard linked.

Most of that data is static - old mailboxes, backups of VHS tapes, my
mp3 collection, all the software I download, etc, but there are a few
areas of it that change constantly, like mail spools and my current
mailboxes, log files (which I back up mostly because I'm too lazy to
exclude them) and so on.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive