OT: It's arrived!

Lyle - CosmicPerl.com perl at cosmicperl.com
Mon Nov 5 14:32:26 GMT 2007

Simon Cozens wrote:
> Lyle - CosmicPerl.com wrote:
>
>>  Remote serial port access? This is new to me. To be honest access the
>> BIOS, etc, through a serial port is new to me. If you'd give me the
>> terms I can google to research this I'd very much appreciate it.
>>

> As others have mentioned, you need a sysadmin. But since you're not going
> to take mine or any others' advice, for the sake of posterity and list
> archives, pretty much any half-decent data center will allow you to ssh
> into a console server and talk to your machine's serial line. Similarly
> they should provide you with a remote power switching facility.

Thanks Simon. My data centre is a small one in Bristol. So having
something like this will probably be something I need to research and
then negotiate with them. Remote power switching would be great, I know
they don't have this at the moment as I have to call up and someone goes
over to the data centre from the office.
> My server (I *do* have the dual curse of equal incompetence in both
> programming and sysadminning) is not a hot-shot Sun thingy, nor does it
> have one of the new-fangled service processors - it's a Tyan S2099 - but it
> just has an option in the BIOS to send the BIOS console to the serial port.

I'll give supermicro a call they should be able to fill me in on what
feature options they have.

but.... "

I *do* have the dual curse of equal incompetence in both
programming and sysadminning

"... but... you wrote programming books????

Lyle