OT: It's arrived!

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Nov 6 03:03:04 GMT 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 2:16 AM, chromatic <chromatic at wgz.org> wrote:
> On Monday 05 November 2007 17:48:58 Lyle - CosmicPerl.com wrote:
>
> > Likewise I'll not employ a sysadmin until I understand most
> > of these things and how they work together, otherwise I'll not be in a
> > good position to make a good selection.
>
> That's kind of an epistemological problem (Hi Simon!): how are you going to be
> able to evaluate the resources you need to use to learn these things if you
> don't believe you know enough to evaluate system administrators

Out of a set of inputs you can correlate for internal consistency, and
discard outliers. If you do this iteratively and match against past
results and deductions your filter should get better & better. So long
as you didn't start out with a pile of crap :)

**

Lyle you seem to have a false dichotomy between DIY & employing a
sysadmin. There is a middle ground of using a hosting service that
manages hardware. Certainly until you actually have a deployable site
you're wasting money buying hardware simply because it isn't being
used to its full potential. In other words your assets are
depreciating without generating revenue. Better to get everything set
up on e.g. a tenner/month VM somewhere and when it's ready consider
moving up the hosting chain. (VM's are nicer to learn on too.) It
could be six months even a year before your site gets to full traffic.
In that time technology will've marched on and what you spent now will
buy shinier toys...

I realize ultimately none of this you really want to hear. You just
want to get your hands on shiny toys YESTERDAY.