OT: It's arrived!

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Thu Nov 8 11:59:36 GMT 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 10:53 AM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 01:31:46AM -0800, Randy J. Ray wrote:
> [...]
> > I haven't considered unsubscribing, but I find myself wistful for the
> > "kill thread" functionality of USENET newsreaders I've used in the past...
>
> Rig up INN, create moderated groups for all of your lists, set the moderator
> to be the list submission address, and pipe incoming list articles into
> rnews, possibly thrhough a quick bit of Perl to canonicalise the message
> headers. Point your favourite newsreader at that.

(Or just press 'm' in Gmail.)

Clay Shirky IIRC made an interesting point that those so desirous of
attention will seek it even when that attn is increasingly negative:
it's better to have *some* attention than no attention even if it's
negatively directed. This is probably what's going on here.

I thought it was here but a quick skim didn't reveal the passage I was
looking for: http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html
(Bueller?)