OT: It's arrived!

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Nov 8 12:12:49 GMT 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 11:41:05AM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:53:37AM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
[...]
>> Rig up INN, create moderated groups for all of your lists, set the
>> moderator to be the list submission address, and pipe incoming list
>> articles into rnews, possibly thrhough a quick bit of Perl to
>> canonicalise the message headers. Point your favourite newsreader at
>> that.
> Or just use procmail, of course:
> :0fw
> * (whatever condition you fancy)
> | /usr/bin/formail -a "Status: RO"

That's not sufficient. It requres adding a Newsgroups: header, ensuring that
there's a Subject: header, that the Date: header is valid and within an
acceptable range, and that there are no folded headers. Optionally there's
some other header frobbery to make one's chosen newsreader happier.

> I dare say there's a Perl solution too.

I did it in Perl because a thirty line script that does it Right was less
effort than contriving a series of parameters for formail that will break
depending on the phase of the moon.

Originally it was using procmail, but I eventually replaced it with Exim
Filter when I realised that there were starting to be enough Lovecraftian
horrors lurking in my dotfiles that I'd need special arcane protection to
log in.