OT: It's arrived!

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Thu Nov 8 13:02:21 GMT 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:28:41PM +0000, Alex Knowles wrote:

> someone at the heretics meet (er, i think it was wistow) was saying you
> could do exactly this with mutt - sort by user tag all messages from said
> user then delete all threads below their post.

I also have this feeling that he was to blame.

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:32:45PM +0000, Chris Benson wrote:

> You probably don't want to know because it involves changing mail
> readers, but mutt(1) has:

> <Esc>d      delete-subthread       delete all messages in subthread

I think the particlar thing he was saying was that you can tag-apply these
commands. So say you never want me to darken your doorstep again* you would
tag all the messages from me, then ;<Esc>d and presto, not just me gone, but
anyone replying to me and possibly quoting my infelicitous or infidelitous**
message. Now all you need is the brain bleach to deal with any that you'd
accidentally already read.

Nicholas Clark

*  Um, I think it's your turn to darken mine. But it's not conveniently close,
   which might be tricky.
** I was looking for how to spell the second, and I'm still not sure how to
   correctly construct the adjective from infidel via infidelity, but I came
   across the first and it seemed apt too.