Happy Diwali !!!!!!!!! |/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Thu Nov 8 22:51:01 GMT 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:06:41PM +0000, abhishek jain wrote:

> It is seriously offtopic and i appoloize,

don't, learning about other cultures seems interesting to at least me, and I'm
sure I'm not alone in that. it sure beats the hell out of 'lol!'. so what is
diwali beyond what wikipedia can tell me?

> Today is Diwali , it is a very auspicious day and Indians celebrate it by
> igniting crackers.;

i think thats firecrackers, crackers are biscuits you have cheese on. setting
them on fire would be less rewarding ;-)

anyway ...

krazy ken, the evil communist mayor of london seemed to celebrate it a while ago,
see,

	http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/diwali/

> (UK(I am finaly here.));

I believe the now traditional perl monger celebration of arriving in a new city
that one has wanted to go to is 'Yataa!' from the japanese used in the geek
loved show heroes, when hiro arrives in time square, NY, NY - so good as it lets
americans remember complicated strings.

anyway happy diwali! i think the biggest impact to the UK from india is probably
in food - so if you have just arrived here and want to talk to people on email
you might like to subscribe to london.food[1] where people will be all to eager to
steal ideas from you (if you cook that is)

once again, happy diwali! and i hope wishing someone happy diwali isnt a huge
cultural faux pas.

G.

[1] http://www.thegestalt.org/london.food/