Multi platform, high volume data recording

Lyle - CosmicPerl.com perl at cosmicperl.com
Sun Nov 11 00:24:15 GMT 2007

Hi All,
  I hesitated in sending this, as I already made 4 posts yesterday (hey
it's past 12 :)). But in the end I thought that at least some of you
might be interested.
http://www.cosmicperl.com/design1.swf

It's the initial concept design for the software I've been working
toward and pestering you all so much to get ideas for.

I'd appreciate some heavy criticism (without swearing or personal
insults) and suggestions. Although some things will not be changed, for
instance...

1) The solutions used must remain platform independent (well, must work
on Win and Linux)
2) Ummm, probably something else...

I've already looked at solutions for load balancing like pound and
perlbal but that would lock me into Linux.

I suspect that the tracking software on the data logging servers that
also acts as a load balancer would be best done as a separate daemon.
But would I be able to do this successfully under Win32 as well without
re-writing the daemon? (have a single daemon script that runs on both).

Lyle