Calling UNIVERSAL::can() as a function is allowed. (was: [OT] best way to determine existence of a function in a package)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Nov 22 14:29:16 GMT 2007

http://trout.me.uk/ <-- that one.

> > Of course, I never did get around to the patch. Anybody got any spare
> > tuits?
>
> I figured out the other day that the Right Approach was probably to warn only
> if there's an overridden can/isa that Broken Code doesn't call.  I'm going to
> make that the default behavior of UNIVERSAL::can and UNIVERSAL::isa very
> shortly, perhaps even this afternoon.
>
> Then maybe hordes of CPAN developers will fix their bugs instead of blaming me
> for trying to help people test their code.

That's basically why I want the option to turn them off - I want those bugs
to cause failures in my code, not warnings in my test suite that then become
failures at run time.

I also massively dislike having UNIVERSAL::can and ::isa in my dependency
chain; they have a tendency to scare people off for some reason and since I
get exactly zero value out of having them around I'd rather just not bother.

--
      Matt S Trout       Catalyst and DBIx::Class consulting and support -
   Technical Director      http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/