Calling UNIVERSAL::can() as a function is allowed. (was: [OT] best way to determine existence of a function in a package)

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Thu Nov 22 18:53:50 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 November 2007 06:29:16 Matt S Trout wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:44:14PM -0800, chromatic wrote:

> > Which one are you again?
>
> http://trout.me.uk/ <-- that one.

That was a joke, but of course I forgot to type the punchline when someone
asked me a question in real life.  Sorry.

> > Then maybe hordes of CPAN developers will fix their bugs instead of
> > blaming me for trying to help people test their code.
> That's basically why I want the option to turn them off - I want those bugs
> to cause failures in my code, not warnings in my test suite that then
> become failures at run time.

I'll upload a developer release in the next couple of days.  Hopefully the
warnings will be more specific.

... and when Perl 5.10 comes out, we can all point to the documentation for
UNIVERSAL and say "See?  We're not crazy after all."

-- c