Emergency Social - Pembury Tavern tomorrow

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Mon Dec 3 14:20:27 GMT 2007

Tomorrow the Pembury Tavern will start serving the one and only barrel
of Milton Io (9.2% ABV)*

The fact that this might otherwise get away without me trying some is clearly
an emergency, and I intend to be there to taste it:

http://london.randomness.org.uk/wiki.cgi?Pembury_Tavern%2C_E8_1JH

Advantages of the Pembury:

:-) 16 hand pumps, usually about 8 with beer on and one with cider:
    http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/pembury/drinks.html
:-) Good food (last food orders at 9pm)
:-) Pint to line glasses
:-) Pints of tea (I find this more dangerous than the beer)
:-) Sensibly priced soft drinks and fruit juice
:-) Free wireless
:-) Friendly landlord
:-) Pool, bar billiards and board games

Disadvantage of the Pembury:

:-( It's in zone 2

Mitigating factors:

It's 2 minutes walk from Hackney Downs station, which is a 10 minute ride from
Liverpool Street, with 10 trains an hour. Last trains back in on weekdays are
2213, 2214, 2219, 2228, 2229, 2243, 2244, 2249, 2258, 2259, 2313, 2314, 2319,
2328, 2343, 2344, 2349, 2359, 0015

It's not far from Hackney Central, on the North London Line^W^W^W"Overground"

I'm told that buses run from Hackney to more places in North East London than
you can shake a stick at.

If you're rostered "on call" it's a practical place to connect in from.

Nicholas Clark

* In the extremely unlikely event of it turning out to be off or otherwise
  undrinkable, they won't. Decent pubs have standards, after all.