Cufflinks

Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker ilmari at ilmari.org
Fri Dec 7 00:40:20 GMT 2007

"Edmund von der Burg" <evdb at ecclestoad.co.uk> writes:

> On 05/12/2007, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
>> A friend has requested cufflinks for Christmas, silver (presumably she
>> means silvery-coloured, rather than made from silver).
>
> An alternative - albeit illegal - would be to take two ten pence
> coins, two five pence coins, a metal drill and something to join them
> and make cuff links out of those (10p as the main face, 5p as the
> backing plate).

I've actually got a pair of gilded Norwegaian 1 øre (1/100th of a krone)
cufflinks with a matching tie pin that my oldest friend (whose father
used to work for the national bank) gave me as a (secular) confirmation
present. This is perfectly legal, as the coin in question has not been
in circulation for decades. In fact, the set of cufflinks and tie pin
was issued by the national bank and includes a booklet detailing the
history of the 1 øre coin.

--
ilmari
"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,