[REVIEW] Programming Collective Intelligence

Adrian Howard adrianh at quietstars.com
Mon Dec 10 09:57:02 GMT 2007

On 7 Dec 2007, at 15:35, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> On 7 Dec 2007, at 14:44, Greg McCarroll wrote:
>> is there any chance you could mail it to me after that? I partly want
>> to read it, but a bit of me wants to start a crazy book mailing
>> system.
>
> That *is* pretty crazy. The problem with books (in this respect) is
> that they're a bit heavier than DVDs. My copy of the Perl Cookbook
> is just under 1200 grams on my kitchen scales. This costs £4.25 to
> send, not counting the wrapping paper and effort of going to the
> post office (which I suspect you'd have to do).
>
> How do you intend to make it worthwile? Library cards are free :)

True. But  Inter Library Loan fees, managing to get to the library on
the two evenings it's open long enough for me to get there, the time
spent arguing over ridiculously  short load periods from the British
Library.... those aren't.

Don't get me wrong - I *love* my library - but getting technical
books from there can sometimes cost more time/money than buying the
damn things...

Adrian